Kaledioscope: Lucy's Journal of Adventures

*flash fiction stories that reflect the feel of the daily skies. At the end of each daily story will be a key that connects themes, characters, places and events to what is happening in our daily sky. Lucy is a shapeshifting character whose moods reflect her placement in the sky.  She is the main character and representative of the Moon. The stories are told from her perspective as if reflecting upon her day in journal entries hinting at what our day may be reflective of, as well*




All I wanted to do was fly today. I sprouted brilliant blue feathers that trailed like streamers from long slender wings. I wanted to be as light as possible and soar so high I could see the ends of forever. I launched myself into the bright sky. It was so clearly blue and brilliant almost of it had chosen to dress just like me. The wind churned and I rode high above the land on the thermals. But, suddenly, the wind unexpectedly changed sending me tumbling down. Unfortunately, I could not control my direction in the swift changes of the breeze and accidentally crashed right into this big lumbering soul. I was a bit embarrassed not to mention a little frightened because I was so light and so small and this creature was very large. I was afraid the shock of my landing may startle him and I'd be angrily crushed!

What was a horrible crash for me was felt as just a little bump to my accidental target. I rolled down his back and onto the ground. He was a little startled at first. But, when he saw me laying beside him on the ground half in shock and still anxious about how he could potentially react, he reached down with large thick furry hands and ever so gently lifted me up. He held me close to his face smiling as he softly stroked my feathers with curiosity. He spoke in a deep but very charming voice asking me if I was ok. I told him I was fine...just a little startled. He told me I was safe now and gently looked me over up and down searching for injury. I felt safe but I also wondered if he realized how fragile my frame was and worried that even in his gentleness I might accidentally be crushed.

He told me it didn't look like I was hurt and asked if I felt any pain. I explained that to my surprise I did not but I attributed that to my luck of landing on his back which was thick with fur likely softening my impact. I did apologize if this caused him to be startled and then introduced myself.

“Strange to meet you this way,” I said “I was just flying about enjoying the breeze and the view from up high and the wind changed. My name is Lucine, but please, call me Lucy.” I told him of my travels and how I was always changing. He found this fascinating asking me if that meant I was not a flying creature everyday. I explained, “no, I can be whatever I want and today I just felt like flying.” He asked me how that was but I just told him it was complicated. He was big and gentle but seemed just a little too simple perhaps to be overly concerned with all the intricacies of who I am.

He told me his name was Ferdinand. He was born in the land of War but never really felt he fit in. “I don't like to fight,” He said. “There are so many beautiful and delicious treasures in this world...I would rather indulge them all. War is just..well, training is a lot of work and not much fun. The food at home was actually pretty awful with everyone only eating to be better warriors. We never had anything sweet or savory. That's why I like it here in the Land of Treasures. Everything is so pretty and lush with anything you could imagine to eat just within reach. The ground is soft like fluffy pillows. Not like the hard cots of my militant home land. I decided to stay here forever.”

I quickly grew uncomfortable in hands, though. Still afraid he'd accidentally close me in them and causing me to suffocate. I asked him if he would please place me on the ground. He did, again, his grace surprising me. When I surveyed my feathers and wings it validated his initial survey that I was just fine. I hopped all around him looking at the different things in his land. So many beautiful flowers and he slowly told me about each one. But, off in the distance I could see something shiny! Instantly I wanted to fly there but I thought perhaps my new friend would like to go with me.

“Oh...nah, I like this place right here. I've been here for days just rolling in the beauty and lazing around.” But what I could see further out in the field look so much more beautiful than where we were. I really wanted him to go with me not only because I adored his gentleness but also because I was unsure what I may encounter out there. Even though he was very gentle and didn't like to fight, were a beast to see me with him they would be less likely to attack simply due his intimidating silhouette. It would help me feel safe to have him near as I explored. “But, what if there is a better place just a little bit away? One that has even more beautiful fields and yummy treats?” I asked him.

Ferdinand laughed gently, “I doubt that. This is such a beautiful place.”

“How can you know? If you do not look? Just travel a few steps with me so you can see what lovelies may be just right over there!” I stretched my wings and flew just a few yards away chirping back at him...”Oh Ferdinand! The view is so lovely from here. The grass feels even softer and I see a whole patch of something that absolutely looks delicious!” He was interested but still lumbered in place. I hopped over to the round pink puffs I saw on the ground and nibbled on the corners. “Oh my gosh...” I shouted back to him, “This is the most savory thing I have ever tasted. Ferdinand you would love this!” His interest piqued then he took slow and thunderous steps toward me. It was such a short distance but he moves sooo slowly. It must be very hard to move a lot when you are so large, I thought. But, he made it! And I was right! He adored the flavor of these new treats and agreed that the grass did seem even softer than it was in the last place.

I kept jaunting little distances forward and ahead of him, enticing him by describing my new discoveries. I didn't travel as far as I would have liked but sharing my discoveries with Ferdinand and watching him as he slowly made his way to them drawn by my enticement was such a sweet adventure. Without him in my way I would have surely been injured in my crash. But, without me, he may have never ventured from that one spot ever! He could have missed out on all the different treasures here that he could enjoy! Yet, he did tire and when we found a lovely little field full of nice soft places to lay down he told me he enjoyed all the new things I'd shown him but he thought he would just lay down right here for a nap.

We exchanged goodbyes and by then I was ready to leave the ground and fly around to explore more anyway. I told him I hoped he enjoyed his new pasture and maybe we would meet again! If we did, I'd tell him all about the interesting things I find on my travels. He said he would like that ahead of a very large yawn. I think he was already nearly asleep even before I reached the sky again. I circled about above him for a minute and he seemed so satisfied and relaxed. “So very nice to meet you, Ferdinand!” I chirped though I don't think he ever heard me through the fog of his luxuroius dreams. I spent the rest of the day safely riding the thermals. I liked Ferdinand but I was grateful not to be him today...chained to the ground and never getting to see a different view of this beautiful planet. He seemed quite content that way but that wasn't all I wanted for me today. The land of treasures and Ferdinand felt heavy after a time and today all I really wanted was to be light and free.



Key:

Lucy—The Moon

Ferdinand---Mars in Taurus

Land of treasures: Taurus

Mood of light and free: Aquarius

Aspect: Moon square Mars in Taurus 1:54 PM EST




Comments