The New Moon in Aquarius and the Astrology 2018

image credit: alixbrandwyn

I have come to the conclusion that I am part crow. Or, that the bird and I at least share a few habits. I like shiny things. Costume jewelry. Metal. Baubles. Glass. They don't even have to be intact. Broken is fine. It's often the sparkle of it that catches my eye more than what it is. I hoard this stuff. I have little stashes of broken glass, jewelry, rocks...sparkly stuff. Because it would be perfect! “For what?” My husband typically asks. “I don't know yet.” It's very hard for me to merely discard something of beauty even if it might be broken.
I've been saying “it will be perfect” for years. Not being able to resist picking this stuff up has been a habit of mine since I was a kid. Ironically, imagine how I responded when I discovered the man I didn't know I was going to marry just yet lived in a house that was covered by some kind of masonry that incorporated two stories worth of broken colored glass. “Oh my Caw! Caw! Caw!”
He and I have recently started remodeling that home. It's over a century old. So, some of the broken glass from the masonry has sloughed off. It can be found in the flower beds around the foundation of the home. I've picked it up to hoard too. It's storage is scattered in various places in jars and what have you.
I am also an inheritor of many things. My grandmother's salt and pepper shaker collection. My grandfather's antique perfume bottles. Tea cups and dishware that go along with my already existing tea cup and pot collection. Some of it intact. Some of it chipped. Broken into various sizes and colors of ceramic. I can't let go of any of it. It will be perfect for something one day. Jupiter in Scorpio smiles on me for my inclination toward being resourceful. I think it is my Scorpio parts that attract these things to me in the first place. These otherwise “given up for dead or trash” things.
My “one day” came, recently. A day in which I was inspired to take some of my crow-collection and make something of it. I gathered all my pretty broken baubles that could pass for being water colored...every shade of blue and green with pale white and even clear pieces of broken glass, marbles, costume jewelry and miscellaneous “I don't know what” pieces of watery colored sparklies. I chose a tea cup and a matching saucer from my collection. I had found a little crafty instructional that showed how you could make a tea cup float...like magic! I like magic too. It's sparkly.

I wanted to make my tea cup float and use all my pretty broken things to create the illusion of water falling out of it. I've been creating a lot of art projects this year. It has become part of my personal Moon caregiving. Plus, keeping my hands busy and occupied helps offset some of the angst I've felt due eclipses, personal transits..the world in general. I've used it to turn down the live stream of information constantly coming into my brain from a screen and into my eyes and, instead, switched the flow. Letting something stream outwardly from my brain, instead. I turned down the incoming spigot. And turned up the out flowing one. That has been my access to sanity lately. Making pretty things. Due fatigue of being bombarded with ugly. I preferred my sparkly. It's been an act of self-love, actually.
Plus, I preach this to my clients. Unplug. Get back in touch. Create. Make art out of your pain, anger, fear, worry...use all that to create something pretty. It felt good to take my own advice and be reassured in the results that, yes, this is soothing. It is, at the very least, saving what remains of my sanity and producing something out of...nothing, really. Everything I've been crafting with as of late is just an old piece of something broken to someone else. My crow parts don't care. They stand behind me cheering me on. Cocking their heads from left to right..clicker, clattering their beaks...which to the real world sounds a lot like a stream of incessant self-talk as my hands move about putting things where I think they should go. This is my truth. I like pretty sparkly things. It is not my only truth. But, it is the one I'm walking right now. Mars and Vesta in Sagittarius delight when you follow your faith and walk your truth. Doing so while feeling the results of it strengthens my faith, refocuses and resettles my heart and helps me rediscover my joy in a world that seems bent on racing to the apocalypse in some nihilist fantasy land. Not me. I want magic. I want pretty.


I made my tea cup float off the saucer just like the instructional taught me to do. Then, I began filling in the water trickling down from the cup and running into the saucer. As I was talking to my growing creation (because, I do that), I was telling it that I wished I had one of those really pretty Venus statues to put right in the middle of the saucer pond. The growing piece reminded me of the story of Venus' birth. The teacup and saucer resembling the open shell depicted in the famous painting. This seemed especially relevant given I knew Venus was soon to enter Pisces. I began thinking of the transition made from the end of Aquarius into Pisces. Venus melts. Much like the water I was making seemed to do pouring from the tea cup. Hard, jagged, broken shiny pieces melded together to create an illusion...enchanting illusion. It all bore the mark of melted, imaginative, creative Venus in Pisces. Born of the sea.


Venus in Pisces always reminds me of the phrase “painfully beautiful.” Do you know what I mean? Have you ever seen something so absolutely indescribably beautiful that it actually hurt your heart a little to even look at it? Or think about it? Pisces or Neptune folks know what I'm talking about. Love and beauty are not just some fantasy. Not just a “concept.” Some conjured imagining. A vision. It's felt in the body. A beautiful type of ache right in the heart. It feels just as real as pricking your finger with a needle. Painfully beautiful. Venus in Pisces can feel it.
I started looking at my color choices, thinking, “Wow! Those are surely the all the colors of Aquarius. And overflowing from a cup? That's it! This piece shall be named Aquarius!” It was my creation during Aquarius season. It's a water-bearer. The colors and the sparkly! Yes. This shall be its name. But, still, there was something missing. It's almost as if the piece helped choose that name for itself. It fit. But, there was another reason in there that I was missing.
There were times in my making that I grew impatient. Putting everything together took time. I had to let several pieces dry overnight. But, I kept coming back. Step, after tedious step. Level after level. Layering. Stacking. Then, waiting...getting just a bit closer each day. Saturn in Capricorn cheered me on. One step at a time. Reach a little higher tomorrow. Little more the next day. Just keep going.

So, I did. I just kept going. Stacking, arranging, tacking together all these pretty colors until finally...a solid stream of beautiful sparkly broken stuck back togetherness flowed from my magic teacup. I had to stop and just look at it for a minute. My crows were going nuts. Sparkly! Sparkly! Caw! Caw! All my collected pretties were magically sparkly! Before I realized what I was saying, I had already said it, “Wow. Look at all the beauty in these marvelously broken things!”

image credit: Josephine Wall
“That is why my name is Aquarius,” the tea cup said.

A piece of pretty broken glass alone is just a piece of pretty broken glass. Many, many various kinds of broken glass, ceramic, marbles a veritable hodge podge of rainbow colored broken things, no two the same but wildly mixed together....all together, they became magical. Painfully broken beauty. It was if you could see something different each time you looked into that magic water. It tickles the imagination to think of how many different stories are packed into that little stream. Where did that dark green piece come from? Who owned it? Where has it traveled? Was it a gift to someone? How did it break? A million different and unique stories in each tiny broken piece. The blue pieces were not diminished by the green pieces. The clear, black and white pieces didn't take away from the purples and ambers. Instead, though definitely all still separate, they flowed together to make one beautiful wave. Interwoven. Integrated. Interdependent.


Look at all the beauty in these marvelously broken things! Each with their own story. Their own unique kind of beauty. It was magic how all of it together had now became a story of its own. It was magic how each held it's own individual place. Each tiny speck a naked adornment all on its own needing to be nothing other than what it was to contribute to the beautiful collection. The collective.
Indeed.

This is why it's name is Aquarius.
Happy New Moon



February 15, 2018 at 4:06 PM EST

Sabian Symbols

28 Aquarius: Huge pile of sawed up wood insures heat for the winter. Rich contribution of nature to all who work with foresight. Calm yet potent faith in providence.

26 Aries (Uranus): A man bursting with the wealth of what he has to give. Supreme endowment and

inexhaustibility of resources in all possible life realms. Sometimes obsession by potentiality.

Comments