Morning Star: Daily Astrology for May 4, 2014

"Have you eaten? Let me fix you a plate. You need to eat!"
 

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about the archetype of Cancer and how I have experienced it both through my life and through my chart.

I have no planets in Cancer (which rules my 5th house). However, my Moon is particularly strong (which rules Cancer) and I have Saturn Rx in the 4th (Cancer rules the 4th). Plus, I do have two leeeeeeetle bitty placements (not planets) in Cancer-- my South Node and my Part of Fortune.

There are many theories about the North and South Nodes (NN/SN). Some believe that the SN holds information from past lives. Others believe that the SN is indicative of our early life in THIS lifetime. Just about everyone can agree that the NN holds the key to our future or our destiny's path.

I happen to believe in past lives and future reincarnations, so I side with the theory about the SN holding information to our past lives. However, I am Libra and can see (both sides) the early life theory also works.

For example, when I was about 6 or 7, I met the first new addition to my family since I was born. Instantly, I was drawn to this baby wanting to nurture, feed, protect and care for her. I was a pretty small child (small in size but tall for my age). But, I carried this new baby around singing her to sleep when she barely a few months old. It was a natural thing for me.

Comfort as an older child came from waking up early on the weekends and making my parents breakfast in bed. I also baked about a million batches of cookies, brownies, cakes. As I got older, I discovered that not a lot of kids do that. But, I never gave it a second thought.

Here's the thing though. I never wanted to be a mother. I never fantasized about having my own children. I never sat around and thought of baby names. I certainly never played with dolls. I HATED dolls and was much more fond of taking care of my stuffed animals. Honestly, the thought of motherhood rarely even crossed my mind and when it did, I usually repulsed it quickly.  

Later, (ironically enough) when I really started delving deeply into Astrology and understanding my own chart, I began working with 3 women all born on the same day. They are all cusp Gemini/Cancer Suns born on June 22 in varying years.

Shortly after, I met my sister-in-law who is ALSO a 0 degree Cancer Sun. I was also working through some serious "mommy" issues at the time both with my own mother and AS a single mother with two teenage boys.

My interaction with these Cancer women has shown me exactly where the pitfalls of my Cancer SN were (rooted in codependency that I was NOT aware of) and where the gold could be found (nurturing others). I am a first house Pisces Moon (that also squares Neptune). I FEEL what you need intuitively. When you hurt, I hurt. When you are hungry, I am hungry. Anticipating your needs and wanting to meet them rests in my core.

In raising my own children, the polarity of Cancer and Capricorn were illustrated vividly to me. As a single mother, I had to not only draw upon the gold from my SN to raise my children but I also had to be a father. My Jupiter in Capricorn helped me with this tremendously. I've had some really solid father archetypes in my life to help guide me on my NN journey. But, my initial instinct is to nurture and protect people...not to lead them or be a Saturn figure like my NN calls me to do.


It is an ongoing journey to embrace the qualities of my NN. It's not just like that for me. The polarity of the NN/SN axis works like that for just about everyone but it is sometimes so subtle and so intertwined in our daily operations that we have a tendency to overlook it.

It is just "who we are" coloring so much of our lives for so long that it isn't a big deal...until, that is, we start discovering that this polarity drives A LOT of what makes us "who we are."

At any rate, I'm reminded of this polarity because today we wake up to Moon in Cancer. And, the Moon in Cancer wants you to eat and be comforted. It wants you to feel nurtured and safe at home. It wants to care for you, nest and gather your "family" (however you define that term) around you like a protective circling of the wagons. Cancer wants you to embrace your roots and remember "where you came from." Cancer Moon needs to be needed.

Its a tough day for our Cancer Moon.  Yesterday she bickered with Venus in Aries and Mars in Libra. Early this morning...before dawn, even...she has a stand off with Pluto in Capricorn (4:50 AM) and a little later (6:20 AM) she squares off with Uranus in Aries.



Between those harsh aspects, though, she meets up with the Sun in Taurus via sextile (5:34 AM). The tension of the Cardinal Cross caused by the Moon to Pluto and Uranus can be offset by employing the qualities of Libra. Peacemaking. Mediating. Leveling the playing field. Be open to seeing both sides of the situation. Play fair and be just. Libra is also an air sign. So detaching a bit from the emotional aspects of the situation (uber hard for Cancer to do), can also bring a bit of clarity.

With Sun in Taurus making a supportive sextile to the Moon in Cancer, stability, reliability, a strong sense of self-worth and a beautiful spread of delectable delights on the kitchen table also help.

So. Back to my original question...."Have you eaten? Let me fix you a plate. You need to eat!"

 
Prince William is a Cancer Sun. Kate is a Cancer Moon and NN in Cancer. This gives them the authority to be our Cancer Archetype Spokespersons of the day.
 
 
 


Comments