Winged Messengers and Ominous Omens

I woke up this morning, had my coffee, spent some leisurely time researching and blogging. Not one thing unusual. The household, for the most part, was still sleeping.

My dog, Prince, and I were awake though. We are early risers. We enjoy our quiet mornings.

Sometimes, we walk at dawn. Sometimes it is pre-dawn mainly because I like to watch the sky change as the sun rises. I've never seen two sun rises that are the same. The feeling in the air is usually full of promise, a little damp but always quiet.

After my morning coffee, I headed for the door. The sun was coming, the sky became a heavy grey blue. With Prince's leash in one hand and a bag of bird seed in the other, I headed for the door.

I casually walked out on the front stoop and paused mid-step.

“Ooooh,” I said quietly, “what is that?”

I sat down the birdseed softly. Then, I secured my dog to the shepherd's hook in the front yard. Swiftly, quietly, I rushed back into the house to grab my camera.

I wondered if they were hawks. There is one that hangs around here.

Maybe they are really large owls?

Then, it occurred to me as I grabbed my camera, “Hawks? Owls? My dog is 9 pounds of white...like a BIG RABBIT..maybe I should get outside and check this situation out.”

I pointed my camera and started snapping pictures.

I still couldn't tell..
 
 

I said outloud, “What are you?”

I was answered with silence. But, as I pulled my camera out to scan the treetops a bit more...my eyes kept widening and widening....

“Oh...my....Gosh. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, “ Gulp deep breath “eleven...twelve.”
 
 

I felt them peering right at me. Then, one swooped from its motionless position on a branch (with enough force to cause the branch to bounce like trampoline) and landed...right...in...the...road...in...front...of...me...cocking its head to the side as if to say, “I think the better question, my dear, is WHAT are YOU?”

These are turkey vultures. And, I've been seeing them for about a week. But, it has been random and one at a time. I cannot say I've ever walked out my front door and been greeted by an entire horde of them...before today.

Vultures are scavengers. They are not a bird that most people look forward to seeing. But, I can tell you this much, their power was palpable as I stood taking them all in.

Resourcefulness comes to mind with these guys. As well as the cycle of life, death and rebirth. They are ominous, yet, not aggressive.

Instead of hunting, they wait for nature to take its course. Patiently.

They are soul and sin eaters. They portend of death as one of the only true equalizers.

Vultures are attentive and defensive mothers.

Loyal.
Dark.
Hooded.
Masked
 
 
They are dark Saturn figures. Yes, Saturn. Not Pluto.

I have received part of their message. I already know that death is here and hanging in the air. I know and I'm preparing.

Apparently, it only gets deeper from here.

What does the Vulture say to you?





Comments