Namaste Moon

Robust and generous, he shines from his seat in the sky.
“Do you remember me?” I plead.

The last air of summer enters into my lungs
The breeze catches my breath, warm wafting across my shoulders, barely brushing my cheeks.

“What is it, my child, you wish to say?” he replies between puffs of cumulous clouds.  

A flutter skips through my heart at the mere thought of what words I could choose. “I know you can see right through me, friend, and you know more than I wish for you to tell.”

He returns with a smile and wink as he peeks again from the changing night sky. “I would not betray you, little one. Tell me what you wish.”

“Could you deliver a message from me, to someone who makes my eyes shine almost as much as you?” I can feel the blood rush to my cheeks in a quick fervent blush. The night air feels fresh and cool against the rising heat upon my face. “There are so many things, but first don’t tell him, he invades my thoughts, during sleep and waking hours. Don’t tell him, beyond everything I see are his eyes staring back at me. Don’t tell him, my feet no longer touch the ground. Don’t tell him, the pain in my heart is from waiting for the next word from him. Don’t tell him, I am thankful for every minute that our paths may intertwine and that no matter how long we have…minutes, days, or years…I will not forget the first moment.”

“Then, what is there left to say?” His silvery teeth glimmer at me in the darkness.

I breathe in again, slowly, trying not to allow my thoughts to become too lofty. This is important; I must have some footing. The air escapes my chest in a long slow sigh. The clouds dissipate as I stare at this promising shining orb. And my voice returns, “Just, say ‘I am here.’ Let him hear me whisper his name, because I’m afraid to say it out loud. As if this may be a dream and the shudder of my own voice may awaken me. Just tell him through his heart, my guide, and nothing more.”

I await a response, as the first raindrop lands softly upon my face. Mimicking a tear, it rolls across my cheek. The coolness sears my skin. Finally, with his eyes shining brightly, the Moon responds, “Shelter yourself; this will be done. You have my word.”

With that, he was engulfed and gone. Only a small spear of light escaped between the ominous covers now spattering their cleansing drops all about. The dry Earth softens beneath my feet. “My trust is in you, Namaste Moon.”

Comments